Ardent Eden

Ardent Eden is a place to explore my thoughts about the interdependence of life - humanity and nature - and to engage with others for collective problem-solving.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Joining the Chorus

At long last, the time has come for me to raise my voice. I’ve been reading thoughtful, enraging and inspiring posts on other blogs and saying “Yes!” for a while now. What’s taken me so long to find my voice?

I have always been drawn to seemingly disparate causes and issues – from the death penalty to animal rights to education. As my senses have been heightened by the wonders of the natural world, protecting our environment has taken on greater urgency for me. But it’s not just that I’ve become a more ardent environmentalist. Over the years I’ve begun to put together the pieces that connect the fragile yet sustaining beauty of our earth with the catastrophic threat of agribusiness, the cancer of suburban sprawl, the soul sickness that flourishes due to human action or inaction on social issues, the mind-numbing plague of blind consumerism, and the gnawing hunger facing a third of the people on our planet. With a mix of rage and determination, I’ve been caught between feeling like a personal commitment to action is futile in a world so afflicted by consumption, debased politics and deep inequality and being convinced that community involvement and simple everyday action can truly create possibilities for necessary social and environmental change. Perhaps like many others, I’ve been stranded between these competing worldviews. But I’ve been someone who leans more and more toward optimism and hope about the capacity for change when engaged individuals work together. So I took a deep breath and started writing letters to corporations and to Congress, reading and thinking about solutions and not just the problems, and voting with my dollars, while hoping that someday I’d find a way to share and explore ideas that could inspire collective problem-solving. Because all those disparate issues? Turns out they’re connected. And the feeling of futility? It stifles a voice that could reach someone. I am gravely concerned about where we are but hopeful that we can return to a better place in our society, in nature, and in ourselves if we would each add our voice to the chorus. I’m in. What shall we sing?

1 Comments:

  • At 12:42 PM, Blogger Siel said…

    Hey Lauren -- Welcome to the blogosphere :) Looking forward to your posts --

     

Post a Comment

<< Home