Ardent Eden

Ardent Eden is a place to explore my thoughts about the interdependence of life - humanity and nature - and to engage with others for collective problem-solving.

Monday, December 12, 2005

Let's Follow Their Lead

Come on Wal-Mart, don't delay, do what's right this holiday. - Chant of 5th graders protesting outside Framingham, Massachusetts Wal-Mart store

The Boston Globe reported today that a group of fifth-grade students showed up at a local Wal-Mart yesterday demanding that a letter protesting the store's purchase of items from sweatshops be received by the store manager and then sent to Wal-Mart's CEO. Read the story here. The simplicity of the arguments made by these kids is a good reminder of the pure compassion of the human soul. One ten-year-old put it best: "It's not that we don't like Wal-Mart. We don't like what they do. Basically, we're just here to get the message out: Stop shopping at Wal-Mart until they stop using sweatshop labor." When you put it that way, it's hard to argue with.

(A Wal-Mart spokesperson was quick to dismiss any allegations of sweatshop labor as a "major campaign by union-based organizations to tarnish our reputation." Hmmm...I didn't know that the fifth-graders were union operatives...interesting. This Daily Kos post has links to two mainstream press reports about Wal-Mart sweatshops, but you need only google "Wal-Mart sweatshops" to get many more stories.)


6 Comments:

  • At 4:46 PM, Blogger SustainableGirl said…

    RIGHT ON!! I'm so glad to know that kids are becoming aware of these issues. I'm sure they had some grown-up help in organizing this protest, but still ... they'll be growing up in an atmosphere of knowing that you need to research and question the practices of big corporations. Awesome! I'm also linking you on my blog ... your posts are great and I'm already learning from them!

     
  • At 6:37 PM, Blogger lauren said…

    Hey sustainablegirl - thanks for coming by and linking to Ardent Eden. I'm glad that you've learned something -- that makes my day! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on some of the issues that I raise. I'd love to do some collective problem-solving.

     
  • At 11:25 PM, Blogger Siel said…

    Ah -- Let me proudly say I connected you two through the links on my blog. True? ;)

    I love elementary school kids these days --

     
  • At 12:16 PM, Blogger Walker said…

    Sometimes we just need to permit ourselves to state the obvious. Kids are great for that, and remind us of simple truths, when the adults get so caught up in nuance that they miss the big picture. Nuances can be very important, and over simplification can cause problems, but sometimes we need to just step back and say, "Well, Duh!"

    [Thanks for the recent comment. I blogrolled you this morning.]

     
  • At 6:17 PM, Blogger breadchick said…

    Well, if I hadn't already stopped shopping at Wal Mart over 7 years ago after they put out of business every other shop in my Mom's little town in far northern Michigan, reading that the management called the cops on 5th graders would make me! MBH and I have the Wal-Mart argument at least once a month (he can't help it...he is a deluded Republican). I showed him the BG article and he had that look that tells me I've proved my point but he won't tell me until later. GO KIDS GO!!!

     
  • At 11:59 PM, Blogger lauren said…

    Hey Siel - your work is never done!

    Walker - I'm glad you stopped by and added my link to your blogroll. I spent some time over at Choosing Hope today, and I'm happy to add you to my links as well. (I especially liked the post on stating the obvious -- great point.)

    Breadchick - Those 10-year-olds sure looked threatening in the photo, huh? Let us know if MBH comes around...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home