Ardent Eden

Ardent Eden is a place to explore my thoughts about the interdependence of life - humanity and nature - and to engage with others for collective problem-solving.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Smile! It's Recycled and Recyclable

When our household finally kicks the killer cold strain that has cruelly descended upon us during the holiday rush, it'll be time to replace our germ-infested toothbrushes (lovely image, yes?). Throwing away a toothbrush is one of those mundane tasks that gives me pause when I consider that there is no "away" and the toothbrush will meet millions of others in a landfill somewhere. I recently read here that if we continue to discard toothbrushes at the current rate as recommended by our dentists, 50 million pounds of toothbrushes will end up landfills each year.

So I was quite pleased when I saw a local company's sustainable solution at Trader Joe's. Recycline's product is brilliantly simple: the Preserve toothbrush is made of nylon plus 100% recycled polypropylene from Stonyfield Farm yogurt cups. The really cool part (if you're into these things...) is that the handle and nylon bristles are recycled by Recycline when consumers return them to the company in the postage-paid envelope available at the store where the toothbrush was purchased. Recycline grinds up the toothbrush to make recycled plastic lumber for outdoor furniture.

Recycline has my wallet's vote in the dental department. Ethical consumerism won't change the disposable society that we live in overnight, but it's always encouraging to find a company who is doing things just a bit more sustainably.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:19 AM, Blogger Andrea Rusin said…

    I'm sorry you all are sick!

    But what a good resource. I'm in the middle of dental drama that just won't quit, so this kind of thing is on my mind.

     
  • At 6:22 PM, Blogger Roger, Gone Green said…

    Yes, very cool toothbrushes too! I got mine -- we're saving up enough for a deck
    (grin)

     
  • At 11:02 PM, Blogger Siel said…

    Wow -- I use one of these toothbrushes, and I had no idea about the postage-paid envelope thing! Cool :)

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger lauren said…

    If you didn't happen to get a postage-paid envelope at the store, you can fill out an online request form here and Recycline will send you one.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home