Ardent Eden

Ardent Eden is a place to explore my thoughts about the interdependence of life - humanity and nature - and to engage with others for collective problem-solving.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Following Up

Posting has been sporadic because my mom has been in town for a long weekend. It's been a delight to have her around to snuggle with The Bean while reading her Where's Spot for the millionth time in a day and to make multigrain muffins and corn chowder with me for dinner. I've been meaning to write a post and to leave some comments to excellent posts I've read over the past couple of days, but I've been immersed in the easy rhythm of mothers and daughters, cooking, singing silly baby songs, reading children's books, and planning meals together. At various times, miscellaneous thoughts have popped into my head to blog about, and I keep meaning to follow up on past ideas that I've floated in posts. Since I don't have much time on my Mom's last night here, I thought I'd do some quick follow-up to a few recent posts. Forgive the bullet point mindset!

In looking over the list, two things are obvious. One: it's been all about the food recently! That's no surprise, I suppose, as the pleasure of sustainable cooking and eating is one of my true passions. Two: there are some things that I've meaning to get around to doing that haven't happened yet. I need to get moving on getting CFL bulbs, a coffee carafe, and a drying rack.

Oh, and since this is another monkey mind post, I might as well add an unrelated plug for great posts that I read recently from two of my favorite fellow bloggers. Check out Norene's beautiful tale of the power of love and what it can mean for the future of our earth and SustainableGirl's astute questioning of childhood consumerism, the inevitability of growth, and species extinction. Inspiring stuff!

7 Comments:

  • At 2:52 AM, Blogger Norene said…

    I'm so impressed with your diligence and follow-through, lauren. Really, making granola every week? Baking bread regularly? Actually getting a yogurt maker?

    I backslid on the yogurt the last couple of weeks (made hard boiled eggs for my breakfast instead), but I did pick up a pack of CFL bulbs over the weekend.

    It's one thing to start something, but it's another to sustain the effort. Sounds like you're enjoying it, too. Super!

     
  • At 8:48 AM, Blogger Melissa said…

    I'm constantly amazed by how much you accomplish on any given day! Please let us know how your effort at making yogurt goes, as I would like to give it a try myself. I purchased the ingredients to make a fresh loaf of bread - courtesy of breadchick's recipe (I was lured by the "no-fail" part!). I'll have to keep a closer eye on The Boy this time and keep the flour out of his reach!

    By the way, I have noticed a considerable difference in his behavior since limiting his intake of sugar. His behavior is more controlled, he's more rational, and he's just more pleasant to be around. He now looks forward to his little cup of juice each morning the same way I anticipate my steaming mug of coffee. My daughter brought home the most recent school lunch menu, and I plan on visiting the district's website where it breaks down each meal into its nutritional components. I'm curious to see how much sugar is in a typical school lunch.

    I've been composing a letter in my head to send to the school board concerning the idea of making organic choices available for the kids. I have SO much I want to say but know that being concise is much better. As you can tell from this comment, being brief is not easy for me!

    I feel like I need an entire day to get my mind straight and execute a plan of action (instead of stealing moments when the kids are preoccupied and the baby is napping).

    I look forward to checking out your links!

     
  • At 9:05 PM, Blogger SustainableGirl said…

    Lauren, thanks for linking to my recent post - and like the others above, I am so amazed that you find the time to do what you do. The planet thanks you! I wondered if you would mind sending your recipe for corn chowder? I love it and I'd like to learn how to make it. Thanks in advance!

    Cheers!

     
  • At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Amy said…

    I am interested in getting a yogurt maker but my husband wants to know how it tastes first. Let us know how it goes! I made rice milk last week and so I am evolving into other homemade items like this.

     
  • At 10:16 PM, Blogger lauren said…

    Norene:

    It's one thing to start something, but it's another to sustain the effort.

    Isn't that the truth! I find that making time to maintain my efforts can be challenging while trying to work at a very demanding job and raise a young baby. But I do really enjoy doing these kinds of things, and I believe (as I know you do) that our small efforts make a difference.

    OV:

    I think it's fabulous that the Boy wants to help out! Let me know how the bread turns out, and I'll let you know about the yogurt. I still have to get the starter for the yogurt, and I'm not sure where to buy it around here. I haven't had much time on the computer this week so I'll need to research over the weekend. I'm dying to get started on my yogurt making.

    SustainableGirl:

    Always a pleasure to link to your posts. You have a way of getting me thinking from a different angle than might have occurred to me.

    I'll post the recipe for the chowder this weekend. :)

    Amy:

    Welcome!

    I need to get cracking on making that first batch of yogurt. Oooh - you make your own rice milk? Do you use a special appliance of some sort? I've been reading a bit about soy milk makers, but they're pretty expensive. I try to limit the dairy consumption so making some rice or almond or soy milk is definitely on my list of things to learn.

     
  • At 1:38 PM, Blogger Harmonia said…

    I really must try and make my own granola. Not sure how, but maybe I should learn.

    :)

     
  • At 7:10 AM, Blogger lauren said…

    harmonia: Check out the link to my post about making granola. It's so easy and so worth it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home