Ardent Eden

Ardent Eden is a place to explore my thoughts about the interdependence of life - humanity and nature - and to engage with others for collective problem-solving.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Lights Out

It seems that the universe is conspiring against the kind of thoughtful posts that I keep meaning to sit down and write. This time it was an electricity blackout that lasted for an hour and a half this evening. Unfortunately, the lights went out during the evening hours that are so crucial for getting things in order around the house. We were just putting the Bean to bed, and I was getting ready to do my normal evening tasks: prepare the coffee pot for the morning, pack up lunch and snacks to take to work tomorrow, pump breastmilk for one of the Bean's feedings tomorrow while I'm at the office, iron clothes to wear to work, and, for a little treat, some blog reading and posting. Well, the short blackout was a good reminder of how far away we are from truly living a simple life. We were halted in our tracks by not having lights for a little while. We did light some candles (we weren't that unprepared), but the lesson for me is how reliant I am on electric conveniences. Maybe it's a sign that I need to think outside the box (don't you hate that expression?) about reducing our energy consumption. Hmmm...food for thought.

Before the blackout, I opened up a couple of packages that were waiting for me this evening. The theme: Supporting fair trade leads to good stuff! The bag is for signing up for Coop America's Adopt-a-Supermarket program to encourage a local market to carry more fair trade products. (Thanks to Siel for the tip on that!) The fair trade coffee and tea is my prize, courtesy of City Hippy, for writing this post about fair trade tea and bananas. Can't wait to try those goodies!

In the meantime, I need to get cranking on those weeknight tasks.

6 Comments:

  • At 2:28 AM, Blogger City Hippy said…

    Hey

    Glad it arrived...enjoy!

    Namaste

    Al

     
  • At 8:41 AM, Blogger Melissa said…

    We are so very reliant on electricity in our home, especially since our well won't function without it. Whenever the electricity goes out, we know we have little water in the reserve tank and must conserve as much as possible. It's always a good opportunity to show the kids just how many things won't work without electricity - lights, cordless phone, music, tv, computer. And it's funny to see them wandering around aimlessly at first, trying to find "something" that will occupy them. Having the "lights out" reminds us just how much fun it is to light a fire and sit huddled in our little living room working on puzzles and reading books. And even though it's always comforting to have the lights (and heat) come back on, there's also something harsh and less intimate about it as well . . .

     
  • At 7:47 PM, Blogger madcapmum said…

    I do love having electricity, but my hope is that someday we'll be producing it ourselves. This summer, our town installed a bunch of flashing stop-signs, all powered with solar energy. Neat, huh?

     
  • At 10:04 PM, Blogger lauren said…

    Al:

    Thanks again!

    Organic Vegetarian:

    I know exactly what you mean about the return of the electric lights seeming so harsh. We favor fairly dim light as it is, but after sitting in a quiet, dark living room the buzz of the appliances and the brightness of the lights seemed so discordant. I tried to enjoy the stillness, especially since the Bean was already in bed for the night, but my mind kept racing ahead to things that I needed to get done. There's a lesson in a blackout, I tell you!

    MCM:

    I fantasize about living in a solar-powered house! The visible use of solar like the flashing stop signs you mentioned seems like a great way to get the attention of the "average joe/jane" who might not be thinking much about energy issues.

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger Harmonia said…

    I will have to check out these links! Thanks!

     
  • At 4:53 AM, Anonymous green LA girl said…

    Cool! We have twin bags! Or actually, you and the ex-roommate I gave my bag to have twin bags :) Used it yet?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home