Ardent Eden

Ardent Eden is a place to explore my thoughts about the interdependence of life - humanity and nature - and to engage with others for collective problem-solving.

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Keeping Score

Via one of Sustainablog's posts during this weekend's green blogathon:

The League of Conservation Voters has published its 2005 Environmental Scorecard. Check it out to see how your senators and represenatives are ranked based on their environmental record. Then take a minute to drop them a line letting them know that you approve or that they better focus on environmental issues because you're paying attention.

No surprises for me: on key environmental and public health votes, Kennedy and Kerry each got a 95% score and Mike Capuano got a 94% score. How did your Congress-folk do? Let them know what you think about their score.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:07 PM, Blogger spiral said…

    As usual, my senators have piss-poor numbers: Chris Bond (R) has a 0% score, and Jim Talent (R) has a 15% score. My representative, Emanuel Cleaver (D), has a 89% score. Party lines, party lines, and I'm in the minority here. I sent off emails to all of them, belittling and praising them as they earned it, but as usual, I'm sure I won't even get a form email back. I've got a special state, where public officials apparently have no obligation to respond to their constituents. The scorecard is pretty cool--thanks for the info.

     
  • At 1:41 PM, Blogger breadchick said…

    At least you can find the email address for your representative. My rep, Mike Capuano (sorry, Lauren. I haven't had the luck you seem to have had) is quite difficult to get in touch with and the last time he held a town meeting, he completely by-passed the left side of the river, despite being the former mayor of Somerville and his "office" being in Cambridge. I guess he feels his job is done on our side of the river. But, at least he seems to be in touch environmentally...

     
  • At 1:55 PM, Blogger lauren said…

    breadchick: I think the best way to email Capuano is to use the online form here. I get newsletters from his staff that advertise local meetings but you're right that they all seem to be at coffee shops on this side of the river.

     
  • At 5:23 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    In New York, senator Charles Schumer scored 100% and Hillary Clinton, 95%. House Rep. Maurice Hinchey (DEM) scored 89% and Sherwood Boehlert (REP) 78%.

    This is a great site that I will add to my favorites and visit often. Thanks!

     
  • At 9:20 PM, Blogger Laurie said…

    Lucky you! Sen. Elizabeth Dole scored a big fat zero. Sen. Dick Burr, who will at least respond with a form letter now and then, scored 5%. John Edwards gave him the election when he decided to run for president instead. Thanks, John.

    I am lucky to have a great congressperson though, Brad Miller, who scored 94% and may go up against the infamous Vernon Robinson, a man so conservative and completely crazy that Air America did a regular feature on him during the last election he was in. I am praying fervently that he loses the primary so I can occasionally turn on my TV this year.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home