Ardent Eden

Ardent Eden is a place to explore my thoughts about the interdependence of life - humanity and nature - and to engage with others for collective problem-solving.

Monday, February 20, 2006

Pizza and Cookies

Ah, comfort food. It's true that our food traditions - from elaborate holiday celebrations to that morning oatmeal with cinnamon and banana on a winter Monday - bring peace to our lives. That's why I turned to a couple of tried and true recipes tonight for a February dose of calm. I broke out the recipe for whole wheat pizza dough and a tried and true chocolate chip cookie recipe. Add some sauteed garlic and artichokes to the pizza crust with some tomato sauce and cheese, and we had a lovely dinner.

I've been feeling rather out of sorts lately. Maybe that's evidenced by my lack of consistent posting. I'm not sure if it's a case of the typical late winter blues or apprehension about the major decisions that we have in the months ahead: new job, new state, new house, new start. It's overwhelming, but exciting too. At the same time, I acutely feel pain about the state of our world. I find myself thinking about Darfur, global warming, the corporate grip on our democracy...it's enough to make me want to crawl back into bed. But there's a baby to nurse, a job to go to, a husband to love, family to chat with, plans to be made and, yes, pizza dough and chocolate chip cookies to bake.

Sometimes I look at the faces around me on the subway or brushing past my arm while scurrying across an intersection outside my office and I wonder what thoughts are swirling through the minds of those people. Are they concerned with a project at work? Are they excited about a social event scheduled for that evening? Are they sad about a lost love? Do they worry how they will feed their family that evening? I'm not sure if there's a clear point to my thoughts tonight. I've just been searching for the peace that starts from within and radiates outward, letting me live in the moment without fear for the future. That peace centers me and lets me try to take some positive steps rather than burying my head. But it can be hard to come by when the winds of change are howling. For tonight, cooking some comfort food and watching my husband sigh with delight at having a warm cookie for dessert brought me a small measure of that peace. It's up to me to find it in the next moment and the one after that.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Life can be extremely overwhelming at times, but taking comfort in favorite foods, a known routine and most of all a loving family will see you thru.
    Don't know where you're moving but send for tourist information - it will give you something to look forward to. We do it all the time and even did when my husband was being stationed in Sicily, made it less 'foreign'. Reading the local newspaper on line will also help you adjust before you get there - may also help you decide where to live. We've found in the past that sometimes the real estate agent doesn't mention proposed, not yet approved, development projects that would influence our decision.

     
  • At 5:54 AM, Blogger SockknittingMama said…

    This winter has been cold and long over here but the weather is turning. I was reminded on pandora's box story when I read your entry, the last thing to stay in Pandora's box was HOPE. A new start, a new job and a new house sound daunting but it also gives you an opportunity to make choices that fit in with the way you want to live and how and where you want to bring up your baby.

     
  • At 10:55 AM, Blogger spiral said…

    I appreciated your post, as it mimicks emotions, thoughts, ideas, etc. I've been having a lot lately. My comfort food is mac 'n cheese, and I haven't made chocolate chip cookies for some time--good idea. Some part of me over the last week has been telling myself to just sink into the "crawl into bed" feelings, and in a way, it seems to help to just let myself be where I am. Okay, that sounds really new age-ish, but it's something.

     
  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger Andrea Rusin said…

    I thought of you this morning. I was going through the collected mail -and the electric bill was here. I was down 100 KWH from December -but that's probably just because we had Christmas lights up during the previous billing cycle. Still, it went down!

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Blogger Melissa said…

    When I was down in Georgia this past week, I splurged one morning on a true southern breakfast - eggs, biscuits and gravy, grits, hashbrown casserole. The tastes and smells took me back to when I was younger, especially since I was dining with a longtime childhood friend. It's good to have those things every now and then. I wish I could get grits prepared in Ithaca the way I do in Marietta!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home