Ardent Eden

Ardent Eden is a place to explore my thoughts about the interdependence of life - humanity and nature - and to engage with others for collective problem-solving.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

It Takes A Village - Cliche but True

"We can see, if we care to look, that the way we treat children - all of them, not just our own, and especially those in great need - defines the shape of the world we'll wake up in tomorrow. The most remarkable feature of human culture is its capacity to reach beyond the self and encompass the collective good." - Barbara Kingsolver

A dear friend reminded me of Barbara Kingsolver's excellent essay, "Somebody's Baby" in her collection called High Tide in Tucson. Like all of Kingsolver's nonfiction writing (and most of her fiction), it spoke to me pretty loudly. I'd read the essay back in the pre-Bean days. But now that I have a daughter, Kingsolver's exhortations to start collectively caring for the children in our families, our neighborhood, and our global community resonated even more. Today is my day at home with the Bean, so I won't spend too much time sitting at the computer writing. I'll just say, go read this essay.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:39 PM, Blogger agnes gooch said…

    I agree. This is one of my favorite books. She just makes such good sense. Sounds simple but it's true.

     
  • At 5:55 PM, Blogger lauren said…

    Agnes:

    Thanks for the comment! Isn't Kingsolver great? I also like Small Wonder, her newer book of essays. Anyway, she finds a way of putting proufoundly simple truths into words.

     
  • At 12:28 AM, Blogger spiral said…

    Hi, lauren--long time, no post. I am still reading, though; it sounds like I need to check out Kingsolver's essays.

     
  • At 7:45 AM, Blogger Melissa said…

    Lauren - Kingsolver just happens to be one of my favorite authors (The Poisonwood Bible is just great). I'll definitely read her essay.

    Something happens when you have a baby - you begin to see all children as your own. The unjustice committed against a child across the country feels like one committed against your own. We have to be mindful of them all and be the voice for so many who don't have one.

    Thanks for the reminder!

     
  • At 1:31 AM, Anonymous green LA girl said…

    The Poisonwood Bible's my fave of hers too. Weirdly, both Barb and I grew up as MKs (missionary kids) AND both went to DePauw Univ., a teeny college in the midwest...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home