Ardent Eden

Ardent Eden is a place to explore my thoughts about the interdependence of life - humanity and nature - and to engage with others for collective problem-solving.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Musings

While life continues to be chaotic here, I'm struggling to get back into the swing of blogging regularly. It's much easier to write about the everyday decisions that collectively create a better world than the big life decisions that our little family unit is muddling through. Plus I'm plum tired. In an effort to kick start the ol' blogging zeal, here's what's happening in my life right now.

We've been planning to move to City A for years now. It's where Matt grew up, it's closer to my mom and where I grew up, and it's accessible to lots of places where people that we love live. Oh, and the job market isn't bad. In the process of looking for a job there, I stumbled across some job postings in my hometown so we decided to check them out. We had never planned to move back to City B, but that was partly because we doubted that I could get the kind of job that I need right now. To make a long story short, I interviewed for two positions in City B, got offers from both, and declined both offers. In the end, they just weren't the best fit for me. There was true soul turmoil in the process because we started to get used to the idea of living in City B, buying some real land (which we could afford there despite the huge salary differential from the Boston market), and being close to my Mom. My Mom has always been my best friend, and the miles that separate us physically have not changed that. We email multiple times each day (my immediate family belongs to google groups - I highly recommend it for keeping in touch) and talk on the phone a few times per week. Anyway, the idea of raising the Bean close to her Grandma tugged hard at me. In the end, though, the situations just weren't right. Around the time that we were in City B for my interviews, I got word of a possible position in City A. Lots of antics with my headhunters in City B ensued (these people have no shame!). I eventually made my way to City A for an interview...and I loved it. The decision to turn down the positions in City B felt a whole lot better. Now I'm heading to City A for a second interview on Tuesday, and we're spending lots of time looking at real estate online. We won't be able to get nearly as much land, but even a couple acres would allow us to start growing some serious food and creating a small homestead...with dreams for more land in the future. We're all feeling hopeful...oh, and just a tad stressed.

Don't know why, but I just felt like I needed to get that out before I could move on with blogging.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home