Ardent Eden

Ardent Eden is a place to explore my thoughts about the interdependence of life - humanity and nature - and to engage with others for collective problem-solving.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

One Down, One to Go

Life moves along full steam ahead. I long for things to get settled for our family so that I can get back to the daily stuff that makes a life. In the meantime, we're working hard to get the pieces to fall into place on the two big decisions: job and home. The good news is that I've accepted a job that seems like a really good fit for me. I start on May 30th, so we'll be making the move to Pennsylvania by then. The bad news is that we don't know where we'll be living. This housebuying stuff in another state is quite taxing! We thought that we had found a great place to set down some roots, grow a little food, and raise the Bean for awhile. In a bizarre stroke of fate, the former owners of the house swooped in at the last minute and made an all-cash offer for the place that we just couldn't (or wouldn't) compete with. We've spent a lot of time telling ourselves that it wasn't meant to be. We jet off again tomorrow afternoon to spend the weekend pouring ourselves into a renewed house hunting effort. We don't want to rush things, but we also want to be in a position to act quickly if the right place is presented to us.

In the meantime, I'm desperately in need of some good reading material that will take my mind off of these Life Decisions. Suggestions?

3 Comments:

  • At 9:36 AM, Blogger breadchick said…

    Oh I'm so happy for you in regards to the job and hope you find a place to live soon. I'll miss having you so close but and exicited for you in realising your dream. I loved "My Life in France" by Julia Child. It was a great love letter to her husband and a great love letter to Julia from her nephew who helped her write the book.

     
  • At 11:15 AM, Blogger nulinegvgv said…

    lauren,

    i enjoy ken follett as an escape from non-fiction. the pillars of the earth is a great read.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0451166892/002-3872306-2435231?v=glance&n=283155

     
  • At 11:31 AM, Blogger Katie said…

    I have to recommend anything by Barbara Kingsolver too - Prodigal Summer was great and I think it'd be right up your alley.

    Good luck in your new adventure and happy househunting!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home