Ardent Eden

Ardent Eden is a place to explore my thoughts about the interdependence of life - humanity and nature - and to engage with others for collective problem-solving.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Refrigerator Soup

I took a break from packing today to try to use up some of the food in the fridge, pantry, and freezer. I hope to waste as little food as possible in the move, but it's hard to be creative in the kitchen while stepping around half-packed boxes blocking just about everything. In the spirit of my sister-in-law, who makes delightful soups from what's on hand that she calls "refrigerator soups", I threw together this impromptu lunch. As always with my cooking (and especially with this soup), measurements are approximate at best.

Packing Soup

Saute one onion and two sliced carrots in olive oil over medium heat. Add peppers (I had some frozen orange, red and yellow peppers), and season liberally with salt, pepper, cumin, oregano and a dash of turmeric. I also added some dried sea veggies for salty goodness. Toss in a cubed potato. Add 1/3 c. green split peas, 1/3 c. yellow split peas, 1/3 c. red lentils and 1/2 c. bulghur. Stir in a can of coconut milk and about two cans worth of water. (Of course, stock would be better, but the theme here is use what you have.) Add some frozen spinach, and give it all a stir. Simmer for an hour.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:54 PM, Blogger funwithyourfood said…

    Hi there
    I found you through Vegan Momma. Good packing soup! I just moved about a month ago, I wish I had this recipe then. Nice to "meet" you and I'll be stopping by later : )

    Good night!

    Teddy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home